false" onselectstart="return false">
Cayuga's Shead is AP Class 1A Offensive Player of Year
Cayuga running back Traylon Shead was named the AP Class A Offensive Player of the Year for the second straight year.
Shead, who has led the Wildcats to the 1A Division II state championship game Saturday, rushed for 1,552 yards and 22 touchdowns during the regular season. Shead and the Wildcats will play for the Class 1A Division II state championship against Albany Saturday at Mansfield's Newsom Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.
On Saturday, Shead helped his Wildcats score a 41-19 win over Ganado in the semifinals in Shenandoah. In the contest, Shead had 218 yards and scored four touchdowns. For his career, he has rushed for more than 10,000 yards and has the Texas state record of 143 career TDs.
The 2009 Class 1A All-State high school football team as voted on by The Associated Press Sports Editors based on regular-season performance. Players are listed in alphabetical order at each position.
- TAYLOR CHAPPELL, Canadian, Jr. -- 22 knockdowns, graded 93 percent, no sacks allowed; team averaged 435 ypg
- BRYAN DEANDA, Stratford, Jr. -- Graded 92 percent, 15 pancakes
- TREY REAGAN, Alto, Sr. -- 48 pancakes, 1 sack allowed, graded 95 percent
- SPENCER SCOTT, New Deal, Jr. -- 3-year starter graded at 98 percent, 53 pancakes
- BRADY ZUNKER, Falls City, Jr. -- 46 pancakes, graded 96 percent, no sacks allowed
- JAYDEN BAREFIELD, Yorktown, Soph. -- 54-1,164 receiving, 14 TDs
- RYAN NIETO, Olton, Sr. -- 57-1,026 receiving, 11 TDs
- WESTIN WILLIAMS, Wellington, Sr. 116-of-166 passing, 2,234 yards, 26 TDs, 3 INTs; 1,027 rushing yards, 14 TDs
- TRAYLON SHEAD, Cayuga, Sr. -- 1,552 yards, 22 TDs; 3 receiving TDs
- LANE SUTTON, Quinlan Boles, Jr. -- 1,549 yards, 27 TDs
- COLTON WILSON, Sunray, Sr. -- 1,600 yards, 25 touchdowns
- ROSS JONES, Lindsay, Sr. -- 6-of-7 FGs, 33-of-33 PATs, 6 touchbacks
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Traylon Shead, Cayuga
- RYAN ALEXANDER, Canadian, Jr. -- 18 solos, 60 assists, 3 fumbles caused, 4 fumbles recovered, 12 sacks, 15 TFL
- JONATHAN HARGRAVE, Albany, Jr. -- 21 solos, 33 assists, 18 TFL, 9 sacks, 7 QB pressures, 2 fumbles recovered, 2 fumbles caused
- MAKIO HOUSTON, Alto, Sr. -- 87 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 10 QB pressures, 5 fumbles caused, 4 fumbles recovered
- SEAN SHIPMAN, Wellington, Jr. -- 89 tackles (74 solo), 34 TFL, 15 sacks
- ISAAC GARCIA, Ben Bolt, Sr. -- 138 tackles, 6 sacks, 6 fumbles caused, 4 fumbles recovered, 1 INT
- KLINTON KEENER, Stratford, Sr. -- 115 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 INTs, 3 fumbles recovered
- D'SHUN KINSEY, Mart, Jr. -- 122 tackles, 11 TFL, 2 fumbles caused, 3 fumbles recovered, 2 blocked kicks
- STEPHEN BRYANT, New Deal, Sr. -- 78 tackles, 6 INTs, 4 pass breakups, 3 fumbles recovered
- FRANKIE GALVAN, Ben Bolt, Fr. -- 7 INTs, 91 tackles
- KILTON WADE, Alto, Jr. -- 9 INTs, 8 pass breakups, 60 tackles, 2 fumbles recovered
- TA'COYUS WALKER, Grapeland, Sr. -- 8 INTs (1 TD), 58 tackles, 4 pass breakups, 2 fumbles caused
- WESTIN WILLIAMS, Wellington, Sr. -- 42.4-yard average (long of 62), 8 inside 20
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Ryan Alexander, Canadian
- Blake Gawlik, Falls City, Jr.; Wade Montgomery, Albany, Sr.; Blake Ridge, Wortham, Sr.; Tac Stewart, Goldthwaite, Sr.; Nick Wiles, Seymour, Jr.
- Reginald Davis, Tenaha, Soph.; Jason Luke, Muenster, Sr.
- Brandon Robinson, Canadian, Sr.
- J.J. Baca, Van Horn, Sr.; Alex Shaw, Dawson, Jr.; Jonathon Williams, Goldthwaite, Jr.
- Roman Wilson, Petrolia, Sr.
- Aaron Hatton, Grapeland, Sr.; Chris Horton, Falls City, Sr.; Jeremy Lutkenhaus, Muenster, Sr.; Cagan Smith, Goldthwaite, Jr.
- Colton Mitchell, Goldthwaite, Soph.; Layne Taylor, Wellington, Sr.; Bryce Tucker, Petrolia, Jr.
- Trapper Kesinger, Cushing, Sr.; Will Kirchhoff, Falls City, Sr.; Jorge Porras, Wheeler, Jr.; Garrett Schwartz, Goldthwaite, Sr.
- Ryan Haverkamp, Lindsay, Sr.
HONORABLE MENTION OFFENSE:
LINEMEN: Willie Balencia, Goldthwaite; Dustin Boedeker, Shiner; LaDarren Cooks, Tenaha; Taylor Duran, Quinlan Boles; Yahsh Hawkins, Albany; Jayton Henrich, Mason; Dominique Johnson, Mart; Jeremy McDaniel, Joaquin; Joaquin Mejia, Mason; Blanford Paul, Munday; Cullen Presley, Roscoe; Simon Rodriquez, Haskell; Dyllon Smith, Olton; Spencer Thornton, Wortham; David Wiggins, Somerville.
ENDS/RECEIVERS: Jason Brothers, Albany; Mauricio Gonzalez, Ben Bolt; Reed Howard, Seymour; Victor Johnson, Tenaha; Ross Jones, Lindsay; Jesse Ramos, Stamford; Ta'Coyus Walker, Grapeland.
QUARTERBACKS: Malcome Kennedy, Cayuga; Lance McClain, Hubbard; Cobi Steadman, Tenaha; Kenyin Thompson, Munday; Levi Trubenbach, Muenster.
RUNNING BACKS: Ricky Cantu, La Villa; Frank Cornett, Lindsay; Bryce Cummings, Stratford; Larry Dennis, New Deal; Zach Floyd, Roby; Desmond Fox, Bovina; Michael Gaines, Wheeler; Elijah Hudson, Albany; Jake Jones, Wortham; Josh Labay, Ganado; Jeffry Rico, Joaquin; Tyler Rodriquez, Haskell; Eric Walker, Bartlett.
KICKERS: Matthew Schaeffer, Mart; Drew Stafford, Shiner; Justin Wilson, Alto.
HONORABLE MENTION DEFENSE:
LINEMEN: LaDarren Cooks, Tenaha; Zach Floyd, Roby; Yahsh Hawkins, Albany; Ethan Langdale, Riesel; John Norman, Hamlin; Tyler Pettus, Quinlan Boles; Seth Pinkerton, Olton; Nowlin Rees, Falls City; Caden Smith, Roscoe; Ricky Soliz, Lovelady; Terrance Steadman, Tenaha; Spencer Thornton, Wortham; Robert Uballe, New Deal; Justin Wiese, Shiner.
LINEBACKERS: Michael Alvarado, Stamford; Robert Arend, Lindsay; Dillon Bayer, Muenster; John Cadena, Ben Bolt; Justin Gonzalez, Roscoe; Rhett Gresham, Alto; Frankie Guevara, Bovina; Cole Leflett, Joaquin; Nick Lyssy, Falls City; Jake Macon, D'Hanis; Garrett Mayo, New Deal; Dustin McLaughlin, Electra; D. Ray Morgan, Bremond; Tony Negrete, Somerville; Tanner Neinast, Olton; Kyler Urbanczyk, Munday; Travis Wolf, Windthorst.
BACKS: Reginald Davis, Tenaha; Billy Duncan, Cayuga; Ryan Haverkamp, Lindsay; Malcome Kennedy, Cayuga; Josh Labay, Ganado; Ryan Nieto, Olton; JaDerrick Norris, Joaquin; Dakota Rawls, Bronte; Kailob Wallace, Quinlan Boles; Bobby Wayne Workman, Olton.
PUNTERS: Telvin Darden, Overton; Ryan Nieto, Olton; Jeffry Rico, Joaquin.